- Before applying for OCI: It is mandatory for all Indian Passport holders to renounce their Indian citizenship upon acquiring foreign nationality. This is essential for applying for OCI. If not done before, then the applicant must simultaneously apply for surrender of Indian citizenship certificate or cancellation of concerned Indian passport along with the OCI application.
- Eligibility: Following categories of foreign nationals are entitled for grant of status of Overseas Citizen of India (OCI):
- One who was a citizen or eligible to have been a citizen of India anytime on or after 26.01.1950.
- One whose father and mother, both, were at any-time citizens or eligible to have been citizens of India on or after 26.01.1950.
- One whose all grand-parents (maternal and paternal) were at any-time citizens or eligible to have been citizens of India on or after 26.01.1950.
- Minor children of OCI cardholders.
- Anyone who has ever been citizens of Pakistan or Bangladesh is not eligible for OCI.
- As per the instructions of Government of India, any person who has ever served in the defence forces in a foreign country, for any period of time in any capacity, is not entitled for the OCI status.
- Eligible persons would be granted OCI only upon submission of all necessary documents and fulfilling all other necessary formalities.
- The applicant needs to produce requisite documents of self, or parents or grandparents, based on one’s ground for claiming OCI. i.e; An applicant claiming OCI on the basis of Indian Citizenship of parents needs to produce requisite documents of parents, on the basis of grandparents needs to produce requisite documents of grandparents.
- Applicants claiming OCI through their parents or grandparents should produce documents which would prove their relationship with their parents or grandparents, as the case maybe in addition to other necessary documents.
- The applicant should carry the original and photocopy of all documents at the time of submitting the application in India Taipei Association. The original shall be returned after verification and the photocopy shall be retained by the India Taipei Association.
- The documents required are as follows (all photocopies to be self-attested):
- Print out of duly filled-in online registration form
- One photo (2 x 2 inches) with light colour background pasted on the form
- Indian passport or Surrender of Indian citizenship Certificate
- Current passport. (photocopy to be submitted; original to be shown at time of submission of application)
- Photocopy of Taiwan I.D Card and ARC (for foreigners)- (original to be shown at time of submission of application).
- Naturalization / Registration Certificate of foreign nationality, if any
- Document for proving relationship (all originals to be shown at time of submission of application):
- Birth Certificate in case where applying on the basis of parents
- Marriage Certificate in case where applying on basis of marriage.
- Old Indian Passport (of parent/grandparent if applicant applying for OCI on basis of parents/grandparents)
- How to apply:
Step 1: Ensure that the applicant qualifies for OCI as per the eligibility criteria and also ensure necessary documents are present
Step 2: Applicant should apply for new OCI online registration by clicking on the link: https://ociservices.gov.in/. The online application forms have two parts. Part A and Part B of the online application form have to be filled separately. After submission of Part A online, a copy of Part A with an online Registration Number will be printed along with unfilled Part B of application form. Details in Part B should be typed out except for the declaration and signature. In case the space provided is not sufficient, additional sheets may be used for providing requisite details. Part A has to be filled up online for each applicant of the family and Part B is common to all applicants of the family up to a maximum of four. Separate applications are required for any other additional members. The applicants shall submit the application form online and upload all the requisite documents (self-attested), photograph and signature (in the case of minors who cannot sign, left hand thumb impression for male and right hand thumb for female) along with the application.
Step 3: Please e-mail the filled-in form and all the supporting documents to secycons1[dot]ita[at]mea[dot]gov[dot]in or secycons2[dot]ita[at]mea[dot]gov[dot]in for verification and seeking appointment for submission of application at ITA.
Step 4: Printout of Part A of the application form, duly filled Part B of the form should be submitted along with all the necessary documents in the India Taipei Association at time of appointment conveyed by ITA. (For seeking appointment please write to secycons1[dot]ita[at]mea[dot]gov[dot]in or secycons2[dot]ita[at]mea[dot]gov[dot]in). For charges, refer fees.
Step 5: Status of the application can be tracked in: http://passport.gov.in/oci/statusEnqury. Processing time is normally 6 weeks (longer in case of foreign spouses) and ITA informs the applicant when the OCI card is ready. The applicant should bring the passport along at the time of collection of the card.
Status of an OCI is almost on a par with a normal Indian citizen excepting restrictions in the following:
- Voting rights.
- Government employment.
- Becoming a member in the Legislative Assembly or Legislative Council or Parliament.
- Holding Indian Constitutional posts such as President, Vice President, Judge of Supreme Court, High Court etc.
- Acquisition of agricultural property.
- OCI Miscellaneous Services for OCI Card holders:
These services can be availed only by the OCI Card holders for re-issuance/issuance of duplicate OCI documents in the following contingencies:
- Issuance of new passport.
- Change of personal particulars.
- Loss/damage of OCI registration certificate/visa.
- Filling of wrong personal particulars while submitting online application.
- Change of address/occupation.
- The application for this service should be filled online on http://passport.gov.in/oci/. One hard copy of the application form is to be submitted to the ITA except for change of address or occupation.
- OCI registration certificate and visa should be re-issued by availing this service, each time a new passport is issued up to the completion of 20 years of age and once after completing 50 years of age in view of biological changes in face of the applicant. It is not mandatory each time a new passport is issued to the OCI holder between 21 and 50 years.
- In case of loss/damage of OCI documents, the service would be granted only after personal interview.
- Click here for fees.